We have relocated our website! You will be redirected shortly.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Click here for Directions to our Club!

(Continue reading...)

To know who we are, contact us, click here.

Saturday 21 December 2013

467th Meeting Recap, or The Christmas SCUBA Crabs

Our VPE, Ng Kin Foong, CC, was acting President for the meeting, and said that we should forgive the people in our lives, but sometimes, we forgive everyone but ourselves (I have the opposite problem). And also that he wants to show greater appreciation to his parents, eg when he works late, his Mum will call him and tell him to wake her up when he reaches home, so that she can heat up the (dinner) soup for him.

The first Prepared Speech by Toastmaster Chan Chee Wai (CC P2), was entitled “Charity”. It was about his adventures while volunteering in Bangladesh and Thailand. He told stories of the Bangladeshi people dying on the streets due to hypothermia, and some Thai people eat only rice, raw chilli and soup.

The second Prepared Speech was by Toastmaster Jack Chu (CC P4). The title of his speech was “What do you mean?” and it was about people saying the same thing, but having different intentions. Another example Jack gave were the differences between men and women.

Last but not least, Toastmaster Ray Oh's Speech (CC P7) about SCUBA Diving. Ray began his speech with the question: “What does the acronym SCUBA stand for?”*
Ray then proceeded to show us that a set of flippers, diving mask and BCD (Buoyancy Control Device, not “Big Chicken Dinner”, “Bad Conduct Discharge” or “Binary Coded Decimal”) doesn't really cost much, and an oxygen tank with regulator costs only SGD 5 to rent. With a fatality rate of only 1 out of 200,000, SCUBA diving is safer than skydiving or parkour.

During the break, when I went to speak with my mentor Coen Tan, ACS, ALB, he said, “Bro, I'm so glad you'll be staying with us another year. When I read the news I literally shouted” and then he proceeded to kiss my right shirt sleeve. There are mentors, and then there's Coen, someone who is so demonstrative of his love. I was so stunned I didn't know how to reach. Thank you, Coen!
(My Employment Pass was not going to be renewed for next year- but here at the Miracle Factory, miracles DO happen; my boss appealed and got my EP renewed for 2 years!)

This being our Christmas meeting, we had games. Everyone wrote on a small sheet of paper their names, and answers to the following 5 questions:
  1. Christmas to me is....
  2. What industry am I in?
  3. 3 things I want for Christmas
  4. 3 things I want in life
  5. My pet peeve

The fastest person to correctly guess the name of the person, based on his/her answers to the 5 questions, won a MARSHMALLOW STICK! Woohoo!
In the 2nd Round of the game, the person who guessed correctly had to pretend that they were the person described on the paper, and act or talk like them.

Yet again, our Table Topics segment was most interesting: our Table Topics Master- Chong Cheng Lee, DTM, wrote “GIFTS” on the white board, and gave actual gifts (non-Daiso) for everyone who took part. The letters each spell a quality that Cheng Lee has in abundance, and she feels compelled (compelled!) to 'share' them:
Generosity
Initiative
Flexibility
Tolerance
Sensitivity


After the meeting ended, we proceeded to the achievements of our latest 5 CC s (Competent Communicators) – June Tan, Tan Mingjian, Nui Thantong Bang-on, Gladys Tye and Peter Koh, with a Chilli Crab Dinner.  

-Carl Wong,
Vice President, Public Relations

*Self-contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus. I learned it from my Dad when I was in Primary School. I didn't understand the meaning of the word "apparatus" (I would call it "thing" or "device" today), but the fact that the first letter of every word spelt out the word "SCUBA" was amazing for me.
Best Evaluator- Tan Mingjian, CC

Best Table Topics- Yew Runbin, ACS, ALB

Best Prepared Speech- Toastmaster Chan Chee Wai




















Newly-crowned CCs: June Tan CC, Nui Thantong Bang-on CC, Gladys Tye CC, Tan Mingjian CC, Peter Koh CC

A Heart given by a visiting Guest

Heart given by a Guest

No comments:

Post a Comment