We have relocated our website! You will be redirected shortly.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Click here for Directions to our Club!

(Continue reading...)

To know who we are, contact us, click here.

Tuesday 14 October 2014

What do we fear most?

It's our exciting fortnight meeting this THURSDAY again!

We embrace the Toastmasters journey hoping to grow, to become someone bigger than we thought we could be.

What is holding us back?

Fear.


Here is some really thought-provoking Food for thought in the email correspondence from our President Ng Kin Foong and Vice-President of Education Gladys Tye to our club members:

Gladys: 


‘Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.Our playing small does not serve the world. We are all meant to shine’ - Marianne Williamson

Those were tidbits of what our newly crowned Competent Communicator, Joe Wan, mentioned in his speech during the previous chapter meeting,

Let’s take a moment to ponder- What is your deepest fear?

I used to be so fearful of public speaking. In fact, I  would rather jump off a cliff than to give a presentation. Because of this fear, I ran away from presentations like how a criminal would run from the cops. Three years ago,  I was  forced nominated to attend a public speaking course by my boss. Those eight weeks felt like eight months. I couldn’t sleep well especially before class.  Now looking back, I am grateful for this ordeal. Because without this, I wouldn’t have become who I am today.

In every chapter meeting, you witness strong-willed individuals who conquer their fears in public speaking  and hone their communication and leadership skills.
Now, take a moment to think about what are you fearful of.

How has this fear affected your relationship, career, finances, health and personal development?

How about making a commitment to move out of your comfort zone? To participate in that table topics segment. To book your next speaking slot. To serve others by leading.

After all, we will never learn and grow if we keep doing the same things over and over again.

Sometimes the thing we fear most, is what we need to do most.


In which our President replied:
Yes that quote by Marianne Williamson chews up my insides and moves me to ask myself: what do I really fear most? why am I afraid of my own power?
I remember avoiding the stage after one incident in primary school where in a debate I ended up shooting my team and myself in the foot. After the embarrassment I was sure I would not speak in public again. After attending a course called "Train the Trainer", I knew I had to get to the stage because I enjoy training and making a difference to others. 
I joined Toastmasters to practice crafting material quickly because by then I was no longer afraid of the stage. I completed my CC in 6 months by speaking at other clubs too. 
But then I got to confront other fears instead: fears of being not good enough, fear of taking responsibility, fear of being powerful beyond measure. 
Today as Club President, I believe that I have contributed something to the club and grown in handling my fears. I believe I have grown as a leader, and definitely as a better communicator and a better thinker. All this because I took a leap of faith and did it anyway. 
So fellow club members, lets double up in the journey toward our greatness. Take that step forward and book a speech, or volunteer for table topics, or hold an appointment role like evaluator or TME. You'll never regret taking an action within Toastmasters because it's a safe space to learn and grow. 
Last but not least, Congratulations to Roy, Annie, and Jaric for being first timers in your roles in the upcoming chapter meeting, and congratulations to Matthew for attempting P10. I look forward to being inspired!



Step out of your comfort zone, step out of your fear.

It is only when you emerge from your tunnel, that light will beckon you.

No comments:

Post a Comment