We have relocated our website! You will be redirected shortly.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Click here for Directions to our Club!

(Continue reading...)

To know who we are, contact us, click here.

Sunday 19 December 2010

Div S Governor Leela Kalwani’s Motivational Address at Tampines Changkat Toastmasters Club on 2 December 2010


Club President, District Officers, Fellow Toastmasters, Ladies and Gentlemen!

About a month ago, I met your club’s VPE, Competent Communicator Shaun Li at Area S4 Achievers’ Day at Changi Simei. He graciously invited me to speak at your chapter meeting, about Leadership.

During our conversation, words like leadership and servant-leaders cropped up. I wanted to impress him so I told him this: “The end of all knowledge is service!” I believe he was suitably impressed!

But I want to let you in on a secret….Actually I am the last person in the world  anyone should  ever invite to speak about leadership….why……because, really, truly, without any doubt……I know nothing about leadership.   In fact I am feeling my way around and still learning on the job!

When I think about my role as Div Gov…I see a picture…..a picture of myself as a Bullock with a ring in my nose…being guided and lead by my master/s to plough the land and hopefully make it conducive enough to sow seeds.  And who are my masters?.......why you members of course.   I your Div S Gov, exist because of you, and my duty as Div Gov is to serve you as best as I can, according to my capabilities.

What I have said just now may sound negative…but I am trying to be logical and face facts and remain positive through it all!
All Toastmasters know ….we must always be positive, think positive, act positive and speak positively!
There is a saying….No matter how you are feeling…..get up, dress up and show up!
The show must go on…so here I am…Do you think that is a sign of leadership?

Now, besides being a member of Toastmasters International, I also am a member of the Universal Brotherhood Mission.  Universal Brother Mission preaches the brotherhood and unity of humankind.

One day, a group of people asked our Spiritual Master….”What is your Mission doing for Society?”

Our Spiritual Master replied: “We are providing good human beings to the society!”
Only a human can be humane and feel the pains and sorrows of others..
Only a good person can be a good administrator, a good master, a good employer and a good employee! Good people are imbued with humility and fellow feeling.
We are striving to develop the positive faculties of head and heart!
If we become human beings in the real sense the whole society can be transformed
 
 Dear Toastmasters, What do good human beings do and where and how does the Toastmasters International come into this picture.?

Toastmasters International’s Mission states…..Through its member clubs, Toastmasters International helps men and women learn the arts of speaking, listening and thinking –  these are vital skills that promote self-actualization, enhance leadership potential, foster human understanding and contribute to the betterment of mankind!

Fellow Toastmasters!
The world is complex and ever changing! Ever revolving and evolving!
Every organization needs honest and ethical speakers and leaders!
Speakers who can persuade, inspire and influence others to achieve worthy goals,…
Leaders who can rise to the challenge, bring us together and take us into the future with purpose and confidence.

Toastmasters Clubs  provide a mutually supportive and positive learning environment.
By ploughing through the very comprehensive and effective manuals and programs, like the Competent Leader Manual and the Competent Communicator and Advanced Communicator Manuals,  every Toastmasters member has the opportunity to develop their skills and step by step cultivate self-confidence and achieve personal growth.
We achieve personal growth by studying the manuals, practicing, encouraging and  inspiring and helping each other to grow.
When we achieve personal growth we become better people contributing towards a better society.

I feel deep admiration for the each and every member for participating and contributing to the wellbeing of their club and members, members who have the vision and courage to want to help other members to go beyond themselves. I want to thank each and everyone of you for your help and support.  Even your presence at a meeting is of great value…you will be inspired and the time will come when your heart will pulsate to offer and give off yourself.

William Feather, an American journalist said: In helping others to succeed, we ensure our own success!
Visualize the Train Engine….see how it pulls so many carriages filled with people.  It brings the travelers to their destinations and reaches it’s own destination as well.

Let us commit and engage ourselves in our Toastmasters practice and experience how words and ideas can indeed change the world!
Collectively  as Toastmasters we can fly and soar high…and..Achieve Greatness Together!

Toastmaster of the Evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment